Monday 1 March 2021

 L.I: To create a DLO that tells others about tatau.

Today I made a DLO about my cultures tattooing. I used my smart searching skills, I needed to out find what tattoo is in Tongan and samoan, also the meaning. There is a picture showing of what a Tongan tattoo is. Tattoo in Tongan is tatatau and tattoo in samoan is tatau. The tattooing represented the individuals love, loyalty, to their family or 'aiga, and the new responsibilities they had to bear. The Tongan tatau represented Tongan society and the journey of the Tongans past, present and future.

I found quite hard was to find the meaning because there was website that didn't have the meaning of the  tradtional tatau. A fact I found interesting was in Tonga, tattooing was a vibrant part of the culture until the early 1800s. I enjoyed this activty because I learnt new things about tattooing in my culture.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Spelman
    Thank you for teaching me something new. I did not know the word for tattoo in Tongan was tatatau, and I'm glad I now know this. I have also found out today from your post and other blog posts that I have read that tatatau has been an important part of the Tongan culture since the 1800s. Well done for keeping your learning going.
    Mrs Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Spelman
    I enjoyed reading your DLO about Tongan tattoo and finding out that tongan tattoo is called tatatau and that the Samaoan word is tatau. I like how you explained the meaning and story behind the tatoos and included this in the DLO. It's great that a tatoo can have such a strong meaning and link to different cultures.
    Well Done

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.